Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I can't stop listening to...Menomena

A few years ago it seemed like every band I liked was from Portland, moved to Portland or had been from Portland Portland was like epi-center of my musical world. This meant two things; one I pretty much was only listening to music made by white people and two, I thought I wanted to live in Portland. The former has remained true by and large (With some obvious and notable exceptions) while the former can just be added to the long list of things I was wrong about in law school. See, I visited Portland and it wasnt really that cool. The city's shtick was easy to identify and wasnt really that amazing 1) Portlanders are always drinking something, probably coffee or beer, often in rotation to mix the uppers and the downers 2) They hike more than you or I ever will and dress the part with regularity 3) They care less than you 4) They are whiter than you (Arizona should probably just look at what Portland did if it wants to rid itself of Latinos, as its the only city in America I have ever been to where I literally did not see a single Latino/Latina) 5) They are more apathetic than you and will go great lengths to prove to it and 6) They dont respect Kevin Pritchard, which is a joke (google it).

Despite my falling out with Portland, I am mature enough to realize that the city may have a few redeeming qualities even if the hipsters have ruined it. One of those redeeming qualities is Menomena. I'd say they are in my top 5 bands but we all know every band I like is in my top 5 bands I like so thats really a meaningless title to award them. But they are good. They just released a new album, Mines and its good to quite good. Here are a few tracks from it. Their earlier work is also pretty great, so check that out too.

Menomena - Taos


Menomena - Lunchmeat


Menomena - Lunchmeat

No comments:

Post a Comment